Every business needs to respect the environment, reduce waste and energy usage. Therefore, Aaran House has introduced a few improvements since we took over in 2007. We stopped providing plastic water bottles and now, we recycle the rest. Aaran House offers refillable bottles, to encourage guests to avoid bringing more plastic into the house. Our lighting now uses more low energy lights. We will continue to improve as far as possible.
What we do now
- Recycle as much material as possible and reuse items, such as plastic bags, till they break.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with LED or CFL low energy alternatives, as they burn out.
- We no longer provide single-use plastic water bottles for guests, therefore saving plastic waste.
- Provide refillable glass water bottles and glasses instead of plastic cups.
- Take recyclable materials – cardboard, glass, plastic, cans – to waste disposal points, at least weekly.
- We take non-recyclables to waste disposal sites for correct disposal by authorities.
- Aaran House typically recycles up to 100 bottles and cans per week and 5 kilos of cardboard.
Areas for improvement
TBeacuse waste and environmental regulations are advancing, we have to consider other areas. These include eliminating single-use jam portions, butter portions and sauce sachets. However, guests prefer these and are currently very reluctant to switch. Society views “second-dip” containers of food items as “unhygienic” and “unwholesome”. , we hope to make improvements in these areas.
Medium to long term problem areas
Similarly, Health and Safety Law requires us to maintain stairwell and emergency lighting. We have to retest and schedule renewal of fire-fighting equipment. Our guests are responsible for usage of electrical items in their rooms and this is beyond our control. (TV, fan, heaters, shower extraction fans). Complimentary items in rooms have become the de facto norm. These cannot readily be eliminated (shampoos, hand cream bottles, soap dispensers. We refill these as far as possible. Likewise, we are expected to wash towels and bedding to a high standard and cannot determine how to reduce this demand. We would be grateful for any suggestions if you wish to contact us.